Monday, March 31, 2008

Hope

I'm not even sure how to start this entry - no words seem right. I can't think of anything good enough or strong enough to explain what happened today - so I'm sorry my words won't do this any justice.

Today was Hope Elizabeth Pastusek's funeral. Anna and John are a couple in our Sunday school class at church and are Hope's amazing parents. They have known this day was coming for a few months, even though Hope wasn't born until last Wednesday. Hope had Trisonomy 18 (Edward's Syndrome) so Anna and John knew she wasn't going to make it - it was just a question of how much time they were going to have with her. Unfortunately, Hope was stillborn and today she was remembered.

When something like this happens people question God - people including me. As I have said before I hate that I do this, and I know I shouldn't, but sometimes life doesn't make sense to me. I see on an everday basis kids that have horrible parents. I have heard parents tell their children in front of them that they don't want them, and I have seen abuse beyond what any kid should have - even an iron burn on the face. But here was a couple that loves God, loves kids, and would have been great parents (and will be someday). So my question is why does something like this happen to them? Why is it that some of the greatest people I know aren't able to have children? And why do people who don't treat kids lovingly get to have so many? It just doesn't seem fair.

But today Dr. Wiles said something in the service that really hit home to me. Maybe you're heard it before, or thought it before, but I hadn't until today. Dr. Wiles said that he can't explain why these tough things happen, but he can't explain why blessings happen either. Wow. I had honestly never thought of it that way. Here I am questioning why these bad things are happening, but do I ever question the good? Why do some people have amazingly great and healthy kids? Why do some people have no problem having kids? Why does God bless us so much? These aren't questions I ask in times of joy. Sure, I've wondered sometimes how I got to be so blessed with certain parts of my life, but when I think about the pain in my life and other's life I've never asked God why there is also so much good. So, just as we can't explain the bad, we can't explain the good. God knows all and holds every tear and smile in His hands. We aren't here to question, and who knows what will come of the pain we endure? Anna and John have already reached and inspired more people than they know, and I know they will continue to do so. They are two of the strongest people I have ever met and they are truly two of my heroes.

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no HOPE. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words.
~1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

No comments: