Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Waiting Game

So Kaitlyn ended up sicker than I thought so I ended up taking two days off of work to take care of her. Her fever would not go away and I realized that where I may be the calm collected kindergarten teacher when emergency arise at school, I am not the calm collected mother by any means. I was freaking out! When K's temp got all the way to 104 I almost called 911, but managed to call the doctor's office instead. I was bawling on the phone asking them if I need to take her to the hospital. They told me I could come in at 4:45, which was not what I wanted to hear considering it was only 2:00. I was asking them if it was safe for her fever to be that high and they were saying, "Oh, it's fine. Just give her some motrin and fluid." Well no duh - I had been doing that for two days now. Of course I know they were just doing their job, but I wanted my baby to be okay. So I did what they said and then put her back to bed. All she wanted to do was sleep. So then I had to wait. I felt helpless. Here I was - her mother - and I couldn't fix it for her. I felt like I should be in the kitchen making something that would make this all go away. I could not sit still for anything. So I cleaned....and cleaned...and cleaned some more. There was some rearranging too - and some laundry. I was a machine I'm telling you. I had been doing the same thing each time she napped the past two days. I just felt guilty sitting still. Needless to say our house would be spotless if I worried all the time. :)

I just cannot wait until she gets a little older and can tell me what hurts her or tell her she must drink whether she likes it or not. This age and sickness scares me so much. I know I'm just another crazy mom being - well, a crazy mom, but I can't help it. It does make me understand my kinder parents a bit more when they are so worried!

But good news so far today - she has been fever free and drank two sippy cups of milk without a problem. I've also been chopping up some popsicles and she is loving that! I'm going to keep her hydrated one way or another! Thanks to everyone that has been praying!! Looks like she's well on her way to recovery!

No comments: