Saturday, May 1, 2010

All About Me??

Cody and I attended a marriage retreat that our church had a couple of weekends ago. I loved it! We found out a lot about ourselves as a couple and as individuals. One of the most eye opening things I realized is that I didn't have a hobby that took me away from home. Cody has softball, golf, and hunting - all of which are away from the home. It's not that I don't want him to do those things, but sometimes the time away made me even more mad because I never had an outlet like that. Cody has always told me to go do something for myself - shopping, trips, whatever. Yes, I go shopping, but I can't do that all the time or we would go broke! And honestly, how fun is shopping when you can't buy things you want? So I decided that I wanted to take a photography class. It's something I've talked about doing before, but never followed through. The afternoon of our last day of the retreat I came home and researched the class online. There was one starting at UTA the first Monday of May and goes until almost the end of June. So I signed up without any questioning from myself. But now the questions are coming - am I going to be so tired on the five Mondays that I have to go to class after I've taught all day long? How will I be able to read Kaitlyn her bedtime stories and still make it to class on time? What about Cody's softball games that are also on Mondays? What if I get there and everyone else knows way more than me about photography (which really isn't that hard to believe!) I'm trying to get all that out of my mind. I love classes - always have and pretty sure I always will. I was a big dork in school and loved to study. But something about this makes me nervous. Maybe it's because for the first time in a very long time I'm doing something for me. Not for my husband, not for my daughter, not for my students - for me. I guess I feel a little guitly, but I know I shouldn't. It's what we learned makes a marriage healthy. Do things together, but don't lose yourself in the process. So here goes nothing - Monday night is my first class! :)

No comments: