Thursday, July 9, 2015

Kaitlyn's Library

Cody, my mother-in-law, Kaitlyn, and I went to see Disney's Inside Out two nights ago.  It was such a great movie (as most Disney movies are) but this one hit me hard in the mom gut.  

Y'all.  More than Toy Story 3.

I can't even.

So without giving too much of the story away for those who might be reading and have not seen it yet, let's just say that I want to capture each and every one of Kaitlyn's childhood memories and bottle them.  The thought of her losing even one memory breaks my heart.  I know it's going to happen, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's funny because recently my friend Nicole told me how her daughter has been reading her old blog posts about her and her sister.  Her daughter is going into 6th grade now and Nicole told me how they both read the memories that they thought they would never forget, but somehow did along the way.  Nicole's blogging became a glimpse of her daughter's past.

So, I want to challenge myself (and anyone else out there) to start journaling/blogging/taking pictures of the little things.

I hope that Kaitlyn finds joy (ha - Inside Out character!) in reading my posts about her someday.

Oh, by the way - hi future Kaitlyn whenever you read this!  I love you so, so much!!!  Please don't think I'm a dork....well....by now you've already figured that out, but just go with it!  ;)

So today I walked into my office to edit some pictures and the thought of taking pictures of Kaitlyn's library came to mind.

Hence this post.  :)

**************************************************************

Kaitlyn,

Sooner than later you'll be thinking that chapter books are all the rage.  My hope is that you will still have a love for picture books as well.  I see some of my own students thinking that picture books are for babies, but that is so not true.  Even grown ups like picture books.  Of course I want you to read what you want, and there is nothing wrong with chapter books, but sweetheart, I want you to remember how your library was when you were little.



I have a picture of you "reading" when you were itty bitty.  Your favorite book at that time was Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  I have the BEST video of you reading it to us.  Apparently some My Little Pony stickers somehow got put into you library too.  You use to always stash your treasures in different places.  

Most nights we'll sit on that love seat and read together.  I wish I could say it is every night, but honestly, sometimes we are so busy that I'm doing great just to get you in clean pajamas.  :)  I love when we snuggle as I read to you, or more recently, how you read to me.  I love your giggles, your concern for characters who are sad, and just your wonder.  I also love how a lot of the time you'll start rubbing my arm without realizing it.  These are the moments I know I'll miss so much one day.
These are what I'm reading to you at night currently.  I let you pick out the Junie B. Jones book after you fell in love with the one your kindergarten teacher read to your class.  It scared me so much when you picked the one about Junie B. having a crush.  I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for you having crushes!

You LOVED these little readers when you first started learning to read.  Truth be told, the red ones in that basket are way too easy for you and have been for quite some time.  I just have so many memories of you being so proud when you read them, that I haven't had the heart to put them away yet.  

At first, I tried organizing your books, but you never did put them back the way I wanted.  I realized quickly if I wanted you to have a love for reading the books, I had to let go of the control and let you put them back where you wanted.  I don't mind it so much now.  You still put them back on the shelves.  I think the way you organize is beautiful.  


The "That's Not My...." collection used to be some of your favorite books.  You loved touching the different textures and I loved watching you imitate me after I read them to you.  You tried to match my inflection and it was just adorable.

You love to read about such a variety of things - princesses and dance to dinosaurs and rocks.  Don't ever let someone tell you that you should like one thing or another.  Do and read what you truly love!
Well, there is your library as of now baby girl.  Yes, I can call you that even though you're six and a half while I'm writing this.  I'm you're mom, so I get to.  :)  I know you probably won't remember much about it when you're older, but maybe seeing this post will help you remember bits and pieces of it.

1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

Hi K! It's Mrs. Leigh Anne :) I love you and your momma for writing this - the best post ever! I mean books & you?? What could be better? I remember your mom sending me a video of you reading one of those little readers for the first time and I was so, so proud! Getting to watch you become a reader has been so fun for me too :)

Oh, and now your momma (and Mrs. Nicole) have given me even more reasons to blog when Caroline gets here! ;)