Saturday, December 20, 2008

Stroller Struggles

Well, here's my first attempt and catching up with the blog! Hopefully I'll get to do a lot of that over the Christmas break, but there are a million other things I need to catch up on too, so I'm not making any promises! :)

One of the things I wanted to write about when it happened, but never got around to was the very first time I used the stroller with Kaitlyn. I was on maternity leave at the time and decided to go get envelopes for Kaitlyn's birth announcements. I was going to go to Office Depot and it was right by my house so we wouldn't be gone long. It was a weekday morning so I knew not a lot of people were going to be out, and her doctor had said I could take her on short little shopping trips as long as nobody touched her. So I thought this first experience would be perfect. So I get everything ready and packed the car. I get to Office Depot and pull the stroller out of the trunk. I had managed to fold it up and get it in there just fine at home, but stupid me forgot to look at how to get it unfolded. I started pulling and tugging on anything I could think of and the dumb thing wouldn't budge. This seriously went on for about five minutes, and one lady even stopped and asked me if I needed help. "No thanks - it's just stuck," was my answer. Like I was really going to tell her I was a stupid mom that didn't know how to work the darn thing. Then I finally got it opened and got Kaitlyn out in her carrier and went to put the carrier on the stroller. Somehow before it had "snapped" in, but of course this time it wouldn't. I tried and tried...I had to put Kaitlyn back in the car several times until I FINALLY figured out how to push the bottom down. At this point I had tears in my eyes and was so embarrassed. I wondered who in the store was watching (I doubt anyone, but that's how my mind works) and I really almost didn't go in because I felt so dumb. But I did go in - went right to the envelopes and then the check out. Literally I was in the store for all of two minutes. That's it. Two minutes. I fought with my stroller for about fifteen minutes in the parking lot so I could be in a store for TWO MINUTES!!! I could have just carried the dad gum carrier in the store and not had any problems. What was I thinking???

I went home feeling like one of the dumbest moms ever, but I sure did practice with that stroller so it wouldn't happen again!! And it hasn't...but I'm sure there will be plenty of dumb mom moments in my future!

No comments: