Monday, June 7, 2010

Kindermusik and My Mama Bear Moment


One of the things I love to do with Kaitlyn is sing. I'm convinced she loved music even when she was inside my womb. I used to hold the speakers up to my belly in hopes she would hear it. She loved her some Taylor Swift. :) As she has become older she has really started to show off with her ability to match pitch, sing tunes, and keep a steady beat. So I thought I would sign her up for a kindermusik class this summer. I've heard great things about the program and thought it would be perfect for her. And I must say I was right!

Today was her first class. Kaitlyn walked in like she owned the joint and there were already shakers on the floor for them to use as we were waiting for the rest of the class to come. K was in Heaven! She was shaking and singing and the teacher told me she was a natural. She might have been just making small talk, but I had a proud mama moment right there. :) Shortly after, the rest of the class came and we got started. Kaitlyn loved it all at first. Her teacher looked at me with amazement and said she had great rhythm - especially for her age. I was beaming...oh but I beamed too soon. Then it was time to play Put the Instruments Up. Kaitlyn was having none of that. She flat out told me no and proceeded to scream as I took the instruments away from her. Same thing happened when it was time to play Put the Seashells Up, oh and Put the Scarves Up...notice a pattern here? And don't think I wasn't the mama that put her daughter in time out in front of the other kids and mamas - I so was. She needed time out, so that's what she got. Only a minute - I'm not horrible! But then I got the ultimate slap in the face (verbally, not physically) The words I didn't want to hear, although I didn't know I didn't want to hear them until now....are you ready for this???

"She must be an only child right?"

At first I didn't even know what to say. I think I tried to smile and muttered yes, but something inside me started churning. What do you mean by that? My inner Mama Bear was about to come out. I wanted to scream, "At least she's not the boy kicking everyone" or "Well at least she's actually singing the songs and not crying and screaming 'Bye bye' to the teacher." But I didn't. I somehow kept my cool and finished the rest of the class. I know it's not a big deal, but it made me so mad! Yes, my daughter was having some issues giving the instruments back. I know it's a matter of following directions. I get that. I'm a teacher. But she's also 20 months old and still learning. Don't make rude comments. At least she was being told no by her mom and even got a time out. Can't say the same about the other kids in the class.

But with that said, K had an awesome time. She loved every single song and instrument (as I'm sure you can imagine). So we will be going back. We'll just see if mama is able to hold her tongue as well as she did today! :P

1 comment:

Heather said...

*Because I moved this from my old blog*

Neal and Krista said...

WHAT? I really have nothing else to say to that. Good grief.
June 7, 2010 at 8:46 PM