Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Proverbs 31 Wife

What woman doesn't want to be a Proverbs 31 wife?  We hear it all the time, and it sounds good in theory doesn't it?

But guess what?  It's hard.  Plain and simple.

Of course trying to be "perfect" at anything is hard.  That's why I just can't do it.  I've come to accept that.

But just because I can't have perfection doesn't mean I can't give it all I've got.  I've read lots of things about being a Proverbs 31 woman, and honestly I didn't like all of them.  Some made me feel guilty about what I know is my true calling in life - teaching.

Then I came across this book.



Now this is what I had been looking for!!!  I knew after the first few pages this was the book for me.  I immediately related to the author, Sara Horn, on so many levels, and I'm convinced we would be great friends if we ever did meet.  :)

Here's a passage that literally had me laughing aloud (which also got me a goofy look from the hubs):

Who doesn't want her kids to like her so much they bless her or actually pay her a compliment?  Who doesn't want her husband praising her and going on and on about how great the house looks and how good dinner was?  

I felt antsy about this topic, so I did what I always do when I'm stressed.  I cleaned.  The kitchen was a wreck, with papers and odds and ends from my son's first week of the school year all thrown haphazardly onto the counter.  The sink sat full of dishes, and the stovetop hadn't been cleaned in days and stains around the burner had lingered for weeks and weeks.  My husband is a great cook, much better than I am, but not so great at cleaning.  I'm good at cleaning, just not so good at making time for it.  

As I put some things away, I noticed the messy pantry, not to be outdone by the similarly disorganized fridge, so I spent about two hours reorganizing everything.  I pulled things out, I put things back.  I tossed old veggies that were past their prime.  I moved cake-and-cookie decorating stuff out of drawers and into a nearby closet, since I don't use them very often.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have done just that when I'm frustrated about the kind of wife and mother I am.  My kitchen cabinets have been organized so many times due to that exact stress.

The book goes on about how Horn tries for a year to be the best Proverbs 31 wife she can be.  It's funny, sad, and to me - all together amazing.  Horn is so real in her experiences and doesn't leave out the hard times.

This was by far the best book I've read in a long time, and one that has honestly changed my life.  It's also a quick read, well, for me it was.  I couldn't put it down and finished it in less than 12 hours.  I've noticed my attitude has changed and I'm more reflective of the type of wife and mother I am.  I'm letting some things go and stepping up in other areas - because my family is worth it.

I highly recommend all wives to read this book!

There's also a Proverbs 31 Wife blog that Horn has.  Check it out here.




No comments: