Sunday, December 23, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Our house goes on the market the day after Christmas.  I'm still kind of shocked to see the for sale sign in our yard each time I drive home.  We've talked about this for a while now, but it's actually happening now.

We're not moving to another city or anything like that.  We just want another house.  I'm not really looking for much bigger, although of course that might be nice.  The house that we're in now just has never felt like home to me.  I can't explain why, but it just doesn't.

I bought the house myself the first year I was teaching.  I was so excited about getting a place of my own and just didn't take the time to consider everything the future would hold.  I looked at it as our starter home.  Cody shopped with me because we were already engaged and knew he would be living with me right after we got married.  My dad was a financial adviser and advised me to not get an apartment, but to find a small house so that I could make my money back one day.  Cody and I agreed that we would live here for a few years then try to find something more "homey" to me.  I knew I didn't want to raise children in this house.

Kaitlyn is now 4.

So, we finally bit the bullet and we're doing it.  We have a wonderful friend at church who just happens to be a relator and someone we both trust.  He has made the process painless and I'm thankful for that.  I'm not sure how long it will take to sell, but we're not in a hurry.  I said the goal was to be out of here and settled into a new house by the time K starts kindergarten.  Well, that's in the Fall of 2014.  I hope it doesn't take that long, because patience has never been my strong point, but I'm surprisingly calm this time around.

My main concern is finding that Goldilocks house - you know, not too this and not too that, but just right.  I'm not looking for fancy, I'm not looking for huge - I just want home.  I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'll know it when I see it.  It will be that house where I can see K doing her homework and having friends over.  It's that house where I can see me finally getting to host a Thanksgiving dinner or a weekly youth group bible study.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for our family!  :)


No comments: