Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Word Explosion!

I was getting really worried about Kaitlyn's lack of words a few months ago. She was always gabbering and making up her own words. She had lots of inflection and could copy our's, but the real words weren't coming as much as I thought they should be. I even asked our school's speech teacher if I should be worried. She said at that point her receptive language was more important - did she understand me and do simple tasks that I asked her to and could she point to pictures when I asked her what they were. Kaitlyn was fine in that department so I was a little less worried, but I still thought she needed more words. Our speech teacher told me not to worry about it until she was two. She told me that's when there is supposed to be a "word explosion." Well, a few weeks into the summer I noticed a small boom of sorts. :) Now it seems as if every day Kaitlyn picks up several new words and I am no longer a nervous mama! Now, she still has her fair share of "Kaitlynese" words as we call it, but as I said, I'm not worried anymore. I thought it might be a good idea to try and make a list of some of the words that she is using right now. I'm sure I'll forget some, but it will be nice to look back at this a few months from now and see how far she's come. :)

Kaitlyn's current words: Mama, Daddy, Darcy, Nonnie, Papaw, Memaw (which should be Grandma...we're working on that one!), Granddaddy, yum-yum, cheese, milk, pizza, pancake, fruit, nana (for banana), apple, fish, turtle, puppy, elephant, monkey, cow, pig, horse, sheep, cat, octopus, crab, zebra, up, down, off, no, yes, poop, pee-pee, bye-bye, Casey, baby, book, bug-a-bug, purple, green, pink, Foofa, Toodie, Brobie, Plex, Muno, Elmo, Minnie Mouse, frog, clock, outside, shoes, cracker, phone, potty, hi, you okay, what's that, funny, oh no, bird, where "daddy" go (insert ANYTHING she wants to know where is for "daddy"), let's go, nose, eyes, tummy, feet, ears, head, teeth, mouth, hat, ball, tree, bus, spoon, fork, cup, this, please, bite, thank you, pretty, church, shake, stop

I'm sure I've left off some and I might add more later as it comes to me or I hear it! :) I just know that the list will be more than doubled in a few months!

1 comment:

Heather said...

*Because I moved this from my old blog*

Jonathan & Ryley said...

Awwww, I love my lil ladybug :-) She's so smart!
July 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM