Sunday, August 18, 2013

Goodbye Summer!

Tomorrow I officially start back to work and K starts her new school.  This summer was by far the best one I've had since becoming a teacher and it all boiled down to priorities. 

I let some things go and made some more important.  Basically it meant more family time and less worrying about school.  In fact, I didn't go to anything school related (workshops, my classroom, etc.) until August.  I've never done that before - even before I had Kaitlyn.  But that decision allowed me to focus on my precious family and I don't regret a single second of it.

This summer I was able to get our new house unpacked (mostly...there is still that pesky garage).  I was also able to spend some time decorating and updating.  There is still so much of that to do!

We took our first BIG vacation as a family and had a blast!!!

K and I did some local things like Sea Life with my mom who retired last year.  

I took a road trip with a wonderful friend and K to see some of my college friends and one of their new babies.

K and I spent hours at home doing "art projects", cooking, playing, giggling, and just being together. 

I loved every single second of this summer and it taught me to pay more attention to my family because they need me and I need them. 

I know my students need me 100% of the day when I'm there and that's exactly what they'll get.  And I can't do my job the way I do without doing outside work.  But I'm making a promise to myself that I will try not to do any work for school once I pick up K from her school until after she goes to bed.  She needs me to be Mom once I'm home - not Mrs. Bush first.  I know there will be meetings and what not every now and then where I will have no choice to "work" while I have her with me, but gone are the days of coming home and getting right to work on my classroom stuff. 

My family deserves it. 

Happy new school year to all my friends out!

No comments: