Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Power of Shoes

I remember having do to a speech in college on my beliefs. I still have it written somewhere around here... But that's not where I'm going with this. In that speech I had sappy parts and strong parts, but of course I tried to have some light hearted parts as well. I remember writing something along the lines of, "I believe in the power of shoes - whether they be glass slippers, ruby red slippers, or just a great pair of Old Navy flip flops." Now, I FIRMLY believe in the power of great tenny shoes. No doubt about it.

We were told this year that we could not wear flip flops to work anymore - and really, they aren't too professional, so I do see the point. But then again I teach kindergarten and get dirty and spend most of my day on the floor anyway (at least I did before I was almost nine months pregnant!) Well, my "dressy" sandals don't exactly fit right now, so I went out and bought some of the croc sandals - not the ugly garden looking shoes (sorry if that offends anyone) but the the ones that are two toned and have a little silver buckle type thing. Man, they were comfortable and I actually got some compliments on them. Only problem was by the end of the teaching day my ankles and feet looked like they belonged to an elephant. So much for that plan. The cute crocs will have to wait. I took some advice from a first grade teacher and wore a pair of tenny shoes the next day to work. My feet did not swell one bit! I was in heaven! So now, whatever I wear is topped off (or I guess technically bottomed off) with my snazzy tenny shoes. Nope, I don't look cute, and frankly sometimes it's a bit embarrassing, but you know what - at the end of the day I'm not swollen and that's really all that matters to me right now. :) And for anyone out there saying, "You can wear cute shoes, just stay off your feet and make the kids come to you." or anything along those line. I laugh at you - and in right in your face too. You come into a room full of 18 five year olds and teach effectively while not getting up and down all day. I dare you...

1 comment:

Heather said...

*Because I moved this from my old blog*

The Porter Family said...

Girl, I teach 3rd grade, and am only 5 months preggo... but I have already found the joy of tenny shoes! Luckily I got the a-ok from my principal before school even started. :) But, I understand all too well about not looking super cute, and even being embarrassed. However, my comfort outweighs all of that. :) Glad to hear you're doing well! :)
September 11, 2008 at 5:47 PM