Saturday, June 29, 2013

Blast from the Past

Y'all.

Last night was awesome.  Seriously.  I had so much fun!  I woke up this morning and had to remind myself that it actually happened.

Now, I've been to concerts plenty of times, but last night was a concert I have been looking forward to for...oh about 20 years.  No lie.

Last night I got to see Boyz II Men, 98 Degrees, and...wait for it...New Kids on the Block.

For real.

When I found out they were coming, it was too late to get floor seats, but goodness knows I would have shelled out the money for them.  20 years people.  20 years I've wanted to see them.  They were the first band that I totally loved.  I even wrote them a letter when I was in second grade begging them to come perform at my school - complete with the set list I wanted in the order I wanted it in.

Apparently I've been a list girl from a very early age.  :)

I just knew back then that if Joey met me, it would have been over.  He would instantly fall in love and the rest would be history.

So, yes the floor seats were gone, but I bought two tickets from the seats that were left.  When I printed the tickets I was devastated to see the words, "Behind Stage" on them, but they were still in the platinum level of the American Airlines Center, so they were not nosebleed seats.  Turns out  that behind stage was actually awesome because we could see each band before they came on stage.  We saw them pray, jump, high five each other, etc.  Y'all - it was so great.  The concert also had two stages and the main one was a circle and each member of each band moved around quite a lot, so it's not like we missed anything.  So I pouted for nothing, because the seats were great.



Cody and I took the TRE into Dallas so we didn't have to worry about parking and what not.  I was happy of course on the ride over there, but as soon as we walked in I got giddy.  It was like all of a sudden I was transported back to my elementary and junior high self and finally getting to do what I didn't get to do then.

First up was Boyz II Men.  Now, honestly I wasn't expecting a lot out of them.  They were of course, down a member, but my goodness it didn't make a difference.  They were hands down amazing.  The first song they sang was "On Bended Knee."



Whoa.  Wow.  Hello.

I don't even know what else to say.  But it got better y'all.  Crazy better.  They even sang "Yesterday", "Motown Philly" (I thought my husband was going to cry), and "End of the Road."

Now, "End of the Road" is a song that played in my life soundtrack.  You see, my husband has this theory that I've always treated my life as if I was living in a romantic comedy...and I think there is some truth (okay, a lot) to that.  So, when I wanted to break up with the guy I was "dating" in 7th grade, I waited until they played this song at the school dance and broke up with him during the talking part of the song.

I'm not kidding.  If you didn't think I was a huge dork yet, now you know the ugly truth.  ;)


To sum it up: Boyz II Men = Amazing

Then it was 98 Degrees.  Two words friends - Nick Lachey.


That's all you need to know.  Yes, they sang some weird new songs that nobody really knew.  Yes, some of them didn't dance as well as they used to.  But they did sing, "The Hardest Thing" and "I Do" so everything was right in the world.




Nick Lachey y'all.  Nick Lachey.

Moving on....

They had a break between 98 Degrees and NKOTB.  The anticipation was paired with a great selection of awesome 90s music being played where the whole crowd was singing along.  Hardly anyone was leaving because nobody wanted to chance missing the start of NKOTB.  Cody was singing along to pretty much every song quietly, but then Marky Marky came on and he couldn't contain himself and busted out with every single word.

I married a keeper my friends.  ;)

That's when 3 rather intoxicated girls turned around and "woooed" him and then proceeded to ask him when he was going on tour.

I married a keeper and a stud my friends.  :)  A stud that can croon like nobody's business.

Then it happened.  The lights went down and before I knew it my crush from 2nd grade was on stage with the rest of the New Kids and I was 110% silly giddy.   Cody remarked he had never seen me like that.  Y'all - I didn't know that part of me even existed.  Cody took a video of me and I was bouncing.  Bouncing and screaming.

Who does that??

It was incredible.  Every song they sang was awesome - even some of the new ones I didn't know as well.  But they didn't let me down and sang all my favorites:

-Step By Step
-Hanging Tough
-I'll Be Loving You
-Tonight
-Cover Girl
-You've Got It (AKA - The Right Stuff)







(Apparently I lost all my senses including my ability to hit the right notes.  I swear I had years of formal vocal training and can actually sing...nobody would know it from this video though.)



But there were two songs that made my life.  Not year - life I tell you.

One I honestly hadn't thought about it years, but man, as soon as it started I teared up.

Yep.  Didn't think I would, but I did.  Not even sure why.

Like I said, I had pretty much forgot about this song, but when Jordan started singing, "Baby, I Believe in You" I almost died.  Every word came back instantly and I got goosebumps.

Who knew a song could do that to you?  I for sure didn't.

But the highlight of my night was one song.  It was my favorite song that NKOTB ever did.  I told myself, "Joey is older now.  He might not be able to sing it.  He might not WANT to sing it."

Y'all, he sang it.

And it was greatness.  Pure greatness.  I can now die a happy girl.

They'll totally sang, "Please Don't Go Girl."  I was putty.  Putty I tell you.

It wasn't even the last one, but I could have gone home 100% satisfied with the concert after that moment.


My husband was such a good sport too.  I can't imagine too many husbands that would have actually gone last night and not made a huge deal about not wanting to be there.  I will say, Cody loved Boyz II Men and had they not been there it might have been a different story for him.  I love that man and everything he does for me.  I truly am a lucky girl to have a guy that will stick around even when I act like a crazed teeny bopper.  ;)

So, I got to relive my youth last night and it was so fun.  And in one week and one day I'll be in Disney World with my family.

Pinch me y'all.  Pinch me.  :)