Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Hope is Built on Nothing Less

I think someone in the preschool department of our church goofed up because we somehow have a letter on our fridge that says Kaitlyn's class will start going to what we call "big church" this Fall.  Ummm....I'm sorry, but I think it was just last Sunday that I was dropping her off in the baby room.  How did this happen??

One of the suggestions in the letter was to bring her to watch the worship part of the service before taking her to Sunday school.  Her Uncle Caleb and Mackenzie (one of our family's favorite people ever) were leading worship today, so today seemed like a perfect day to start the transition into "big church."

Here she is before the service started.  :)



So we went and it was great.  K thinks her Uncle Caleb hung the moon - and you know what?  She should.  I kind of do too.

You see, Caleb actually interviewed for the job of contemporary worship leader at our church almost a year ago.  It came down to two people - Caleb and the guy who ended up with the job.  As a family we were devastated for him.  It was exactly the job he wanted to do and it seemed like everything was falling into place at just the right time, but in the end he didn't get the job.

I'll never forget the exact moment I found out too.  It was when I knew the decision was down to two people.  I was currently on a search team for an assistant youth minister position at our church and during one of the last rounds of interviews our youth pastor said something along the lines of, "There's another young man coming on staff and he and his wife will be moving here..." About that time I'm pretty sure his voice sounded a bit like the teacher from The Peanuts cartoon because I knew it couldn't be Caleb because he didn't have a wife.  I had to fight back tears and tried to act like nothing was wrong, but all I could think about was Caleb's dream job going to someone else.  His heart was going to be broken.

And it was.  I hated hearing my husband trying to encourage him on the phone the day Caleb called to tell him he didn't get the job.  I hated knowing he was hurt and I hated seeing my husband hurt because his brother was hurting and there was nothing he could do to fix it.

But here's where the story gets amazing - at least to me anyway.

Not too many Sundays later, Caleb was up on stage at our church - not as the worship leader, but as another guitar player.  I think I need to add that Caleb had recently graduated college, so he wasn't a member of our church yet, and for sure had not been there as a musician before.  But he's been up there several Sundays since then.  He helps sing harmonies, he leads every now and then, and he helps out with the college worship on Wednesdays nights as well.  He also spent a week helping lead Children's Camp.  Caleb doesn't get paid for any of it.  He volunteers his time.  He goes to practices after he's worked a full day at his current job.  I would also add that the guy that did get the job is super talented too and does a wonderful job.  

Today I had to stop singing one of the songs because I was seriously in awe of my brother-in-law.  He was singing, "Cornerstone" which happened to be one of the songs he played for his last round of the job interview.  I watched him up there on the stage and didn't see him perform it - I saw him worship - truly worship.

To him it didn't matter that he doesn't have the job title.  He was worshiping and helping others worship.  It's an amazing gift that he was given.  Most people that got turned down for a job wouldn't go back and volunteer their time.  I'm not even sure that I would.  But Caleb put aside his pride and his hurt for a higher purpose.

I cannot count the number of people that came up to me today and told me how much they loved seeing Caleb up there.  He truly does have a wonderful talent and he uses it to honor God.  The words Caleb sang today aren't just words to a song that he sings on Sundays or Wednesdays every now and then - he truly lives out the words each day, and I couldn't be prouder to be his sister-in-law.

"Cornerstone"
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus name


Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all


When Darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
My anchor holds within the veil


Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all
He is Lord
Lord of all


When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless stand before the throne.   

 
Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all
He is Lord
Lord of all


No comments: