Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Watch out blog world!

Look out blog world!  I'm posting more than one recipe in a week!  I almost feel like one of those "real" bloggers...but don't hold your breath for too many more.  We all know how this blogging thing usually goes for me.

Maybe, just maybe I'll keep up with it this time, but it seems like I always go through phases of my blogging.  I'll keep up with it for about a week and half and then it will be several months until my next posts.

This could be the time to change.  Maybe.

Anywho....back to the recipe.

Because it's summer I have more time to try new recipes instead of using my "go to" recipes during the school year.  I found one online that sounded good  - and by good I mean that Cody, K, and I will all actually eat it.

So last night I made sweet and sour chicken.  It was actually really easy, but it took longer than most dinners because after it was all prepped it had to bake for an hour.  You also had to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.

But it was worth it because normally Cody will just say "Thanks" or "This is good," but last night he said several times, "This is really good babe.  I mean really good."

Score!

Here's the picture of what was left over - which wasn't much!


And here's the recipe: I found it here (Have to give credit when credit is due!)

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
The chicken coating:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
The sweet and sour sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
       Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.  Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.   


There you have it.  :)

In other news....today my awesome husband is turning 30!!!  He was 17 when we started dating...weird huh?  Gosh, he's old now.  ;)

We are headed to Texas de Brazil tonight to celebrate with just the two of us.  I was going to throw a party that was 20s themed to "Say goodbye to his roaring 20s", but I just didn't get the house "party ready" in time.  :(  We still have our his game room man cave serving as a catch all for garage sale things and we still haven't moved out the big ugly shelves.  And guess where the guest bathroom is?  Yep - right off the man cave.  Cody isn't too disappointed that we're not having the party....surprisingly my normally center of attention hubby doesn't like being the center of attention on his birthday...at least he says he doesn't.  

I'm still thinking of another little something to celebrate later after our Disney trip.  (11 DAYS MY FRIENDS - 11 MORE DAYS!!!)  It can be a combo 30th birthday/our 7th wedding anniversary celebration.  I have a few ideas, but any that y'all have are welcomed too.  :)  



1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

I love your new found blogging streak!! Keep it up for the summer so I have new things to read, k? Thanks ;)