Thursday, July 26, 2012

Change is a Comin'

This next teaching year will be very different for me.  Sherrod was my first teaching job and I taught there for seven years.  I loved every single year.  But this year after God basically yelled, "Hey!  HELLO?  I'm opening a door here for you!" I transferred schools to one closer to home and one where I can take K to kindergarten.  (It saddens me that her going to kinder isn't too far off!)

Sherrod was my work family for those seven years and I will miss it so very much, but it was time for me to make the move for my family.  I was already stressing about having to drop K off at another school and get to Sherrod on time....and I am NOT one of those teachers that can get to school five minutes before the bell rings.  I would be flustered for the rest of the day!  So, when this opportunity came along I decided now was the best time.  Who knows if two years from now if a school five minutes from my house would have any openings - let alone a first grade opening.

So Sherrod Elementary is now my work past and Little Elementary is my work future.  There will be some big differences this year I'm sure.  Sherrod was a Title 1 school and Little is not.  But as with every job there will be the good and bad.  Sherrod was awesome, but it did have it's tough and heartbreaking moments.  I'm sure Little will have it's ups and downs as well, but I'm excited to see just what is in store for me!  As always, I cannot wait to meet my new group of kiddos!  :)

But for now the BIG change for me is my classroom.  My room is very different than my room at Sherrod and I'm trying to slowly get my things in order this summer.  The first order of business was to paint.  The walls of my room were painted yellow and had accents of movie cameras and movie reels painted in a few spots.  Didn't exactly go with my jungle theme.  So, my amazing husband and I transformed the yellow and movie theme to a soft green like the one that was in my last room.  My husband did most of the work and I am so thankful for him!  I honestly think there should be some kind of support group for teacher spouses - they put up with so much!  :)

So, I'll keep posting pictures of the progress.  I can't wait to see the before and final after pictures!  :)

So some of my friends, my parents, Cody, and I moved most of my stuff to my new room.  The district moved some of the heavier things.  The teacher who left that room is still teaching first grade and took most of her curriculum because it was organized how she likes it.  So that means there is also lots of curriculum in that stash of stuff too.  Piled all in the center it looks a bit overwhelming! 



Lockers before - with stubborn daisy stickers all over!
We are now a daisy free zone.  :)

My crew about to start the painting process ;)

Movie camera before pic
Movie camera during pic

Movie camera after pic

Outlining


First coat - still so much yellow coming through




After 2 coats - that's a much better green!













No comments: