Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Beds, Pictures, and Decor...AKA Random :)

Lately K has been wanting to take on more tasks, "All by myself!"  I think she's at the perfect age to take on more responsibility as well.  For a long time she has been expected to take her dishes to the sink, get water from the fridge when she wants it, clean up her toys, and put her shoes and dirty clothes up at night.

Making her bed has always been my thing because I love the pillows and animals all to be lined up neatly.  But let's be honest here - I don't make her bed, or my bed for that matter, every day.

It's actually a goal I have for myself.  Making beds is so simple and quick, but it makes you feel better than you think.  It's just down right more relaxing to walk into a room with a made bed than it is to see an unmade bed.  Which is sort of weird if you think about because it takes more effort to unmake it and actually relax.

So this summer I've been better than I am in the school year about making beds.  Still not batting 1000, but I've been much better.

Well, Kaitlyn decided she wanted to be the one to make her own bed.  At first I was hesitant, but come on - the kid should be making her own bed now.  I just need to let it go.

So, I decided to document this morning's attempt making.

Is it perfect?  Nope.  But she was so stinking proud of herself and that's worth more than nice and neat.

In other news....

I was talking to two sweet friends last night (look for a post soon about that!) and we brought up the fact that most kids today don't get the super embarrassing and awkward photos that we had as kids because everything is digital now.  We just take and take pictures until we get the right shot.  So one of my goals is to keep more awkward photos.  Sounds odd right?  I have to have some ammo for high school graduation slide shows right?  Also, I want to take more pictures and videos of everyday life - not just the cute, "perfect" moments.

So I snapped this picture with my phone this morning.  This is what she chose to do this morning - take her night gown off, leaving only her panties, but adding the beads, socks, and headband.  She said the beads were her pretend backpack.  ;)

In other, other news....(This post is super random!)

I've been trying to decorate our new home this summer as well.  There are big projects I want to do - look at the wallpaper in my last post that is in K's bathroom.  And look at that awesome tile in the foyer in the above picture.   Eek!  But I've been wanting to add more art/decor pieces to the house as well.

I wanted to put up some of K's art in her playroom, but the pieces I picked were bigger than most frames I found.  I finally found some floater frames at Hobby Lobby (at half price!) that worked perfectly.  I love the way it turned out!

I also wanted to start adding a color in the playroom other than pink, so I picked up this yellow frame too, and K picked out what picture she wanted.  She LOVES her cousin Cadie!  I took several pictures of them last Spring for Cody's mom's Mother's Day gift and this one is her favorite.

I also wanted to redo my office.  I do call it my office, because when Cody does have to do work at home, he uses his laptop in the living room.  He never goes to the office.  Plus he has a man cave in the works, so I deserve the office right?  ;)  My office in our old house was also K's playroom...you can imagine how well that worked.  Now she has a playroom (which I still use part of for my craft stuff) and I have an office all to my own....well, actually I don't.  We put K's library in there too and it currently has her reading tent, but I'm okay with that.

So when I went to Hobby Lobby for the frames and ribbon for Disney bows I randomly found two pieces that immediately inspired me for my office.  I love yellow and gray together, but I don't want to redo my entire living room or bedroom right now.  Yellow and gray office - duh!!!  I LOVE these two pieces (both were also 50% off!), but it's only a small start.

So I hung them in the office....

But it still looks too blah...especially when you see the other side...


There's that reading tent!  ;)

I'm not sure if I want a couch, chair, nothing....I guess I'll know when I see it.  I LOVE having my grandmother's old roll top desk in there so whatever I get has to work with it.  I also want a rug to add some more pop.

Guess this means I need to do more shopping right??  ;)





1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

As soon as I get this house painted bring on the shopping!!!